- Title page
- 1: Relationships, roles and responsibilities
- 2 : Appointing and maintaining an effective board
- 3: Participating in setting the expectations and direction for entities
- 4: How can your monitoring department assist you?
- Appendix 1: How Crown entities fit into the public sector
- Appendix 2: Information for Crown entity companies
What does this guide provide to you as a Minister?
It provides practical information and an easy reference point for you and your staff about:
- your relationships with Crown entities, and how to engage with them on strategic matters important to the government
- how to request and get good performance information from an entity
- information flows between Ministers, Crown entities and monitors (usually monitoring departments2
- public reporting by entities, and
- your role in the appointment and removal of board members, and in setting remuneration for board members.
A separate quick reference handout shows the key levers available for you to get the performance you want, and how others may assist you. This handout is available at www.ssc.govt.nz/sites/all/files/performance-levers-for-ministers-jun14.pdf3
For more information also refer to 'It Takes Three', a framework which sets out the roles and responsibilities of the Minister relative to a Crown entity board and the monitoring department at: www.ssc.govt.nz/it-takes-three-operating-expectations-framework