Resource for Preparation of Governance Manuals - Guidance for District Health Boards
- Title page
- Purpose of this guidance
- Who this guidance is for
- How to use this guidance
- Chapter 1: Relevant legislation
- Chapter 2: Objectives, functions and powers of District Health Boards
- Chapter 3: Key Relationships
- Chapter 4: Collective duties of the board and individual duties of board members
- Chapter 5: Role of the Chair
- Chapter 6: General behaviours of board members
- Chapter 7: Members' interests and conflicts: identification, disclosure and management
- Chapter 8: Disclosure of information
- Chapter 9: Gifts and hospitality
- Chapter 10: Board meeting procedures
- Chapter 11: Board committees
- Chapter 12: Delegations
- Chapter 13: District Health Boards as employers
- Chapter 14: Subsidiaries
- Chapter 15: Planning and reporting
- Chapter 16: Board and member performance evaluation
- Chapter 17: Board appointments and reappointments
- Chapter 18: Remuneration and expenses for board members
- Chapter 19: Liability and protection from legal claims or proceedings
- Summary of minimum content for a DHB governance manual by chapter
Please note that the guidance is not prescriptive. District Health Boards should ensure all the issues are covered in their own board’s documentation, while tailoring the material to their particular situation. This guidance does not cover all topics relevant to governance and boards will need to include additional material.
First published August 2010.
Updated September 2011 (with changes to chapters 2, 4 and 15 to reflect amendments to the Public Health & Disability Act that have an impact on DHB planning and reporting).
Further updated September 2014 (to reflect changes to State sector legislation enacted in 2013 and to update links to other material).