Institute of Public Administration New Zealand (IPANZ)
IPANZ is a not-for-profit, membership organisation promoting improvements in public policy and in administration and management across New Zealand's public sector. It has been in existence since 1936 and is one of the country’s leading professional organisations for public servants.
IPANZ represents over 100 central and local government agencies, Crown entities, universities and other academic institutions, and those in the private sector with an interest in building and maintaining a strong public sector in New Zealand.
IPANZ puts on a number of activities to provide a platform for vibrant debate on emerging and controversial issues and a forum for networking, ideas, learning and development. These include:
- regular seminars (lunchtimes) to hear views and insights from practitioners across the sectors
- open discussions (generally early evening) to hear from expert speakers and debate the issues raised
- occasional roundtable events for extended debates of major issues
- training sessions such as Parliament in Practice and the Expert Series
- public lectures to promote awareness and understanding amongst a wider audience
- annual Public Sector Excellence Awards to recognise excellence in innovative practices
- publishing the Public Sector quarterly journal to consider issues in greater depth from a variety of perspectives
- making submissions on enquiries of various types.
Have a look at the IPANZ Events Calendar.
Register to receive emails about events.
New Professionals Network
IPANZ has a New Professionals Network, for those new to the Public Sector.
- Professional development and social events in Wellington
- The opportunity to network with others, across public sector and related agencies
- Career development including mentoring
The awards are open to central and local government, district councils, DHBs and tertiary institutions. They recognise outstanding achievements and innovations by organisations and teams across the public sector. States Services Commissioner PEter Hughes described the award winners as "outstanding examples of the transformational change that is underway in the public sector." The State Services Commission sponsors two of the Awards:
- State Services Commission Award for Excellence in Achieving Collective Impact
- State Services Commission and Leadership Development Centre Award for Improving Performance through Leadership Excellence
Nominations are now closed. Finalists and winners will be announced at the Awards ceremony on 7 July. You can see more about these annual awards on IPANZ's website.
View the press release with the announcement.