Kiwis Count Survey
Measures the quality of public sector organisations' services by researching New Zealanders' perceptions and experiences.
The State Services Commission (SSC) runs a nationwide survey asking New Zealanders about their experiences using public services, how they have been treated when using those services and how they rate the quality of the services they have used. Results from individual services are then aggregated up to give overall scores of service quality and trust in public services.
SSC has run the Kiwis Count survey since 2007. The information gathered helps government agencies to improve the services they provide. Annual results are shared with the public and interim (half-yearly) results are given to agencies to help identify services where issues may be developing and remedial action might need to be taken.
Kiwis Count 2016 Annual Report
Headline results show us that New Zealanders have high trust in, and satisfaction with, their public services. However, while results have increased steadily from 2007 to 2015, results for both trust based on personal experience and service quality have dropped slightly from 2015 to 2016. The 2016 results are still higher than 2014, and 2015 may prove to be an outlier. It is also not clear to what extent the results over 2015-16 have been influenced by wider events over this period.
We have taken a new web-based approach for the December 2016 Kiwis Count Annual Report – click on the sections below to see our comments about the results and new Tableau based visualisations where you can query the data yourself.
With this report Kiwis Count has moved to reporting on a calendar (December) year basis, whereas in previous reports June years were used. To maintain consistency with this new approach, all results in the report for 2012-2015 have been recalculated based on calendar year data. This means some results are slightly different to those published in previous reports.
More information about the survey is included further down this web page.
From 2016, Annual Reports are based on December year end data.
Results from June 2012 to June 2015 were published quarterly (using six month rolling average results) and can be downloaded below. Annual reports during this period were based on July to June data. “The Channels Report 2013” and “How New Zealanders access public services” reports are also included – these reports draw on a module of questions about channel use and preference which were included in the survey in 2009 and 2012.
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 13 - 2015 Annual Report
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 12 - March 2015 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 11 - December 2014 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 10 - September 2014 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 9 - 2014 Annual Report and June 2014 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 8 - March 2014 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 7 - December 2013 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 6 - September 2013 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 5 - 2013 Annual Report and June 2013 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Channels Report 2013
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 4 - March 2013 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 3 - December 2012 Quarterly Results
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 2 - November 2012
- Kiwis Count Quarterly Update 1 - August 2012
- How New Zealanders access public services
- Kiwis Count 2009: New Zealanders' satisfaction with public services
- Kiwis Count 2007: Public Satisfaction with Service Quality
Copies of Questionnaires
The Kiwis Count survey is modular with the main part of the survey measuring New Zealanders’ satisfaction with frequently used public services.
Over time, the survey has changed with modules being swapped in and out as trust and satisfaction data on different aspects of services provision has been required. Copies of all questionnaires are available below.
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2016 from July onwards
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire January 2015 to June 2016
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2014.2, July onwards
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2014.1 January to June
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2013
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2012
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2009
- Kiwis Count Questionnaire 2007
Information for Survey Participants
Participants are selected from names on the electoral roll. Approximately 500 people will take part every quarter (three months) and around 2,000 every year. For those who have been invited to take part in the survey, SSC publishes information on our website on what's required of you.
Technical information about the survey, including methodology, field work, the questionnaire and the response rate are available in the Technical Reports.
Related Data Files
This section is where you will find the data from previous Kiwis Count surveys. You will also find related information at data.govt.nz - this is a directory of publicly-available, non-personal New Zealand government held data and links to datasets held on other government organisation's websites.