Te Tohu Manawaroa a Te Kawa Mataaho - The State Services Commissioner's Commendation for Service recognises public servants who have served 30, 40, and 50 years in the Public Service. These individuals have committed their careers to serving New Zealanders.
The recognition was launched on 10 December 2019.
Nominations for Te Tohu Manawaroa – Commendation for Service can be made at any time. There are two nomination rounds each year, and certificates are printed and distributed to agencies within one month of closing.
Closing dates for 2020 are 1 June and 1 October.
Nominations can be provided in advance so that a certificate is ready to present on an upcoming anniversary.
Who can make a nomination?
Only Public Service chief executives can nominate public servants for Te Tohu Manawaroa a Te Kawa Mataaho – the State Services Commissioner’s Commendation for Service. Te Tohu Manawaroa – Commendation for Service will be awarded to employees who have worked in the Public Service for a total 30, 40, and 50 years.
The Public Service includes departments and departmental agencies listed under Schedule 1 and Schedule 1A of the State Sector Act 1988.
- Te Tohu Manawaroa – Commendation for Service will be awarded to employees of the New Zealand Public Service at 30, 40, and 50 years’ service (service can be continuous or broken, with one or more agencies)
- At the time of nomination, the nominee must be employed by a Public Service agency. The Public Service includes Departments and Departmental Agencies listed under Schedule 1 and Schedule 1A of the State Sector Act 1988
- An employee has no integrity issues that the agency is aware of that could bring the Public Service into disrepute
- Nominations must be endorsed by the employee’s current chief executive. Self-nominations will not be accepted
- Nominees must have reached 30, 40, or 50 years’ service on or after 10 December 2019
- Retrospective Commendations for Service will only be given in special circumstances. For example, if an employee has completed 32 years’ service, and is about to retire, at the chief executive’s request, we will issue a Te Tohu Manawaroa – Commendation for Service for 30 years’ service
- Posthumous nominations will not be accepted.
- Nominations can be submitted at any time by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Certificates will be printed and distributed twice a year. Cut-off dates will be published on the SSC website. Please plan ahead if you are arranging for certificates to be presented at or close to anniversary dates
- The State Services Commission will confirm receipt of nominations
- Please let us know at email@example.com if there are any changes to the information supplied.
Delivery and presentation
- We will deliver a printed certificate, signed by the State Services Commissioner, to your Head Office
- Agencies are responsible for framing and presenting the certificate.
If you have any questions, please contact the awards team at firstname.lastname@example.org.